News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Carlsbad NM, 19-20 Dec 2009

Started by SamD, December 21, 2009, 10:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamD

Well another fine New Mexico Appleseed to report.
With No Boots On The Ground (BOTG)we had a shoot of 24/ 6 young people.

We only made one Rifleman but there were a lot knocking on the door.
StaplegunD came up to IIT4 and we made a lot of new Appleseed Friends.

I say no BOTG but we have commitment for 5 of them and already have 3 donated radio radio spots advertising for the Alamogordo Jan 9-10 Appleseed which is going to be a sellout.  Already hearing noises that there will be an article in the Artesia News.

We realize that 24 doesn't sound like a lot to many of you but there are city blocks in most states that have a greater population that all of Eddy County NM.  We are small, but per capita we draw big and our shooters have the Appleseed Rabies.   

I'm sure that NMMI9100 will jump in with some photographs soon.

These folks want another shoot soonest and they shall have it.
In Carlsbad you need to get a vote of the City council to have a shoot but we'll get another real soon. It'll be at least Feb before we can get it through the city council but it'll happen.

A couple things about the area:
It's rural (that means people come from 2 hours drive and call themselves locals)
It's agricultural
It's drilling oil and digging good things from the ground
and occasionally taking a walk 700 ft underground just to see the sights.

A really nice range with decent facilities
Lots of really nice people and a big chunk of spirit.
I'm as proud to do this shoot in Carlsbad as I ANY I've ever done(yep, ANY)

Thank you Carlsbad/Artesia/Roswell (yep we'll be shooting UFO's this year too)

SamD

Jimi

I Goss, what a great shoot. This was my first Appleseed shoot, as well as the first for my Bride and Daughter. What a fantastic event. I showed up thinking I was a shooter, and by lunch realized "Ididn't Know Nothin". By the time the AQT was shott I was more confident in my abilaty than I have been in 50 years behind the triger.

Sam, I can not tell you, David, Chris and Scott just how much I appriciate what you do. I am setting my goals to improve every time I shoot, and hopefully be invited to be an instructor. Not for Arogance or Ego, but the pride of working with the finest group I think I have ever meet.

Again, Thank you All. And I am planning on being in Tuli and bringing some friends Jan 9th and 10th.

I must warn those who like to shoot and not attended an Appleseed shoot, they can become addictive with the first one, and probably termaly Rabid with contenued exposure.

Thanks again folks, and look forward to the NEXT Shoot.

Jimi, AKA, Desert Eagle...
:bow:
Jimi AKA Desert Eagle
100% USCG Vet ITWPATWT

Jimi

Sorry Sam, need to learn to proof read posts before hitting reply.....
:wb:
Jimi AKA Desert Eagle
100% USCG Vet ITWPATWT

SamD

Nothing to be sorry for long as you didn't cuss anyone.  ;D

nmmi9100

A gorgeous New Mexico blue sky:

Our two centerfire shooters from Roswell:

Appleseed is for Families...drove in from the Queen, New Mexico area:

Youth...the future of our Country...both made SOLID improvements in marksmanship:

A Dangerous Woman to be sure...we could all hope to have as positive an attitude at 80 years:

Ethan, 10 years, our youngest Appleseeder...his 3rd shoot & steadily improving:

Bill and Trey, father & son, travelled all the way from Abilene, Texas:

Kathy, our journalist friend from Artesia, New Mexico, with the 2 youth she mentors in background:

Jimi, our local radio personality and promoter:

SHOOTERS...your 1 minute preparation period begins NOW!

Where is my group and how big is my group?

Mark, our double Rifleman & newest IIT in New Mexico!

Sunday Afternoon Group Photograph:

Jimi

Ouch David, Promoter Yes, Personality, not shur about that, but Do Love to talk about OUR FREEDOMS and HOW we got them..........
:~

Jimi
Jimi AKA Desert Eagle
100% USCG Vet ITWPATWT

oladcock

SamD, NMMI9100, and all the instructors...Great job!  :bow: I'm very impressed and can't wait to get rid of the "cook" title and hope for an orange hat! :) Juli and I had a blast and will be practicing the skills as soon as the soreness wears off! See you in Alamo....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

Devnull

It was entirely our pleasure I assure you.

Remember to do your homework. If you get into the positions once a day for 10-20 minutes and dryfire you will build the muscle memory and will do well in Alamo. A Rifleman persists. If you do persist at practicing those positions your body will not be as sore after the next shoot AND you will acquire your NPOA quicker, keep holding that trigger back as well as call the shot every time.

We look forward to working with you again in Alamo.

Chris
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

staplegund

Yes, this was a memorable event.  I hope I get to meet the County Ag extension agent who took up his bucket and forwarded the email I sent.  That set off a little chain reaction that will hopefully continue to get bigger.  The folks in the C-bad area are top-notch, and I look forward to coming back.  I'll do my part by practicing my story-telling skills so as not to be fumbling around in the dark again.  Hope to see you in Alamogordo too.
Scott
Mischief springs from the power which the moneyed interest derives from a paper currency which they are able to control, from the multitude of corporations with exclusive privileges... which are employed altogether for their benefit. --Andrew Jackson

oladcock

Thanks Chris and Scott, Yep, this getting old and lazy sucks. Got 50 years of bad habits to erase but the good news is if you get old enough you forget what they were!  ++) .....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

ranchroo

Our family had a GREAT time! Thank you to all of the instructors, with a special one to Sam from Timi for the use of the rifle. We are looking forward to seeing all of you again real soon, hopefully in Alamo! Mark is looking forward to IIT!
"We may destroy all the men in America, and we shall still have all we can do to defeat the women." -- British General Lord Cornwallis

TaosGlock

Congrats to all on another great New Mexico Appleseed! :~ :---
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

AFTERMATH

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

SamD

We need to get on the City Council agenda and get voted on for shoots in Carlsbad, but that just takes time and a letter.
Thanks NMMI9100 for making that happen.
Another already in the works.

A nice newspaper article already coming, OL is going to ask about the range for our firstt Appleseed Alien Shoot in Roswell.

Several people well on the way to Rifleman. I see Carlsbad as a self functioning entity soon.

Thanks to each of you for the part you played in making the first Carlsbad Appleseed a success.

See you in Alamo next weekend  O0

oladcock

Sam, Our meeting is the 7th and I'll bounce it off them. Having a ballpark idea of dates would help. How does April/May sound? Our LE range usually isn't scheduled on weekends and would be perfect.

On a side note, Juli and I both teach hunter ed for the state. We tell them up front it's a "safety" course and don't have much time to spend on the marksmanship part. From this point on I will hand out Appleseed info, "we'll teach you to be safe, these folks will teach you how to shoot!" :) Our regional game dept rep is onboard with it and we put up a flyer for the Alamo shoot in the office. Lots of folks stop in looking for not only HE classes but firearm classes in general. So hopefully we'll attract a few that way. Thanks again for the great work you are doing! ...O.L.

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

SamD

OL,
Can you try for the weekend of 17-18 April.
It s "Holiday" for us Appleseed folks and a fine date to open up a new shoot location.
Roswell is a big place for NM and we might be able to get a really big turnout for the the 235th anniversary of
non- Britishness in North America  ^:)^
Sam

BTW:
I would really like to see you and Juli in nice new orange hats by sunup on the 10th. Hint hint

oladcock

We'll give it a shot!  :---  Pun intended! If we can get those dates, we can get radio, newspaper, and possibly TV time. FYI NM folks....

http://www.alamogordonews.com/alamogordo-news/ci_14098821

Wish we had our RWVA hats but don't want to give you all a bad name! :)...O.L.

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

nmmi9100

Carlsbad Appleseeders!

We've got a preliminary date for our next Appleseed in Carlsbad...20-21 February 2010.

It's not final...has to be approved by the Carlsbad City Council.  I submitted the agenda item request today so we'll know for certain one way or the other on 27 January 2010, the day after the council meeting.

So mark your calendars...should be pleasurable weather in Carlsbad in late February...not too cold and not real windy yet.

-David
Edgewood, NM

oladcock

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx