News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Myakka City, FL November 28-29

Started by RickB, November 30, 2009, 08:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickB

Preparations for this Appleseed shoot began on Friday, November 27.  ItsAnSKS, having the day off work, decided to go down to the Manatee Rifle and Archery Club to do a little personal practice.  When he arrived the RO invited him to use Area 51 (where all of our Appleseeds are held).  He would have the whole range to himself--undisturbed quality time with his rifle.

What he found, instead, was an appalling mess.  A machine gun shoot had been held two weeks previously and they hadn't bothered to clean up after themselves.  An early-arriving Appleseeder, Rod, volunteered to help and the two of them spent 3-1/2 hours picking up and hauling off scrap metal and trash.  As you might imagine this effort further endeared the Appleseed program to the range management.  A motion will be brought up in the club's December meeting to dedicate this range solely to Appleseed!

Saturday's dawn rose bright, clear, and chilly--low 40s.  Once the sun came up the temperature dropped another five degrees.  Everyone was bundled up.  TrueTrak, Brown Bess, Willorith, ItsAnSKS, and RickB made up the crew.  It looked like an easy event with only 15 shooters registered.  The admin table had to hustle, though, because we had 10 walk-ons!

The weekend proceeded with the smoothness that comes from having an experienced, dedicated crew and serious, enthusiastic attendees.  What a great group of shooters!

We had a few repeat attendees but most were first timers.  Two father/child groups attended--something that always warms my heart as I have brought my sons to several Appleseeds.  David and his lovely daughter Nichelle had driven four hours from West Palm Beach.  Nichelle had never fired a rifle before but she did so well that her dad's chest swelled with pride.  The other family group consisted of Brian and his two boys, Alex and Noah.  They had driven all the way from (wait for it) West Palm Beach!  In fact, Alex recognized Nichelle!  Pretty ironic that two liberty-loving families had to drive four hours to meet their neighbors at an Appleseed.  This makes a pretty good case for inviting everyone you know to a shoot.

Willorith led off with a rousing retelling of the first strike.  We all learned something new from his presentation: Lechemere point in Cambridge was perfect for digging clams at low tide but an awful choice for an amphibious landing!

Saturday ended with two QDAQTs.  Two of our shooters were on the verge of shooting rifleman but, unfortunately, both were registered for Saturday only and would not be returning.

On Sunday we had 17 return--everybody who had registered for two days and most of the walk-ons.  The day was grueling as we reviewed everything from Saturday and introduced "Ball and Dummy" and the "Follow-through exercise."

Several of the older shooters left during the afternoon and a few decided to sit out the last couple of AQTs, leaving us with only seven shooters on the line at the end of the day.  Three of the hard-core shooters were Noah, Alex, and Brian.  All three improved greatly over the course of the weekend--Brian improved so much that he shot a rifleman score of 234 on the very last AQT of the day.  He wasn't the first rifleman of the weekend, though.  Paul had already shot a 211.

Two of the shooters who sat out the last few AQTs but stayed till the end of the program were James and his lovely wife Pamela.  James, no quitter, was the oldest shooter of the weekend.  "How old was he?" you might ask.  Well, I didn't.  Ask, that is.  

I do know that he was old enough to have served as a crewman on the attack transport USS Bayfield (APA-33) on the 6th of June, 1944: D-Day.  The Bayfield was the command ship for the landings on Utah beach.  You read that correctly--a D-Day veteran honing his marksmanship skills at an Appleseed.  James and the Bayfield went on to participate in the assaults on Southern France, Okinawa, and Iwo Jima.  All of our instructor's hats are off to you, James.  We salute you!

Our hats are also off to all of the other shooters.  Thanks for a great weekend,

RickB

Tru Trak

The Myakka event turned into one of those events that make you very proud to be an American. The fact that a father who brought his two sons 12 and 14 I believe, one who was trying out his skill firing an AR 15 rifle for the first time, got to see their Father be presented the elusive Rifleman Patch. What a great Dad! Still being on the learning curve myself, being able to watch the other men in our crew, Rick, Brian, Paul, and last but not least Eric, gives me the confidence to Carry On! I think we together make a great crew, and thanks to you all. Our other Rifleman Paul, was a return Appleseeder and was ecstatic with his award for the dedication to improving his skills, congratulations to him! The weather turned out great and we had a very successful event and I am sure most of the folks who attended caught the bug and will be returning to future events. Some could possibly shoot rifleman on their next event.
     As Rick said, the privilege we were afforded by the presence of James and Pamela was so special I just can't put into words. The only thing I can say is he is one of the Patriots I have so much respect for. As for Pam, her poor elbows were so raw by the end of the day most would have quit, but she carried on for alot longer and didn't complain much at all. What troopers both. Good day to you all, Larry.
P.S. Great job by Rick B at his first Shoot Boss assignment! Well Done.
Reserved behavior may take longer to make a first impression, but will always beat the rushed alternative.

BrownBess

What a great weekend, weather was fabulous and the shooters even better,  here are some pics for your enjoyment....BrownBess

BrownBess

A few more pics  of some 'Fantastic' Appleseeders.....BrownBess

brian4190

I want to thank all the great instuctors for putting on such a great event. My two sons, alex and noah and I had A great experience. That the event went beyond the technical aspect of learning to shoot and impressed on me and my sons the sacrifice our forefathers endured to give us a free country and more imprtantly that liberty is not guaranteed but will take continuous sacrifice by all of us to keep this country free. again hats off to the instructors who donated their time for this great cause. I will be attending future appleseeds with the goal of becomming an instuctor, and seeing my boys becomming rilemen.
                                                                          thank you, Brian Boss

RickB

Brian,
It was our honor and privilege to host you and your boys.  Sounds like it's time to start looking hard for a range over near you.  Any suggestions that you have contacts at?
RickB

brian4190

Rick, I dont have any personal contacts but I have shot here once before      http://www.markhampark.com/ 
by the way the 2010 appleseed shoots in florida are not on the schedule yet. :-[                                                                                                                    Brian

NHale

Has anyone asked around Wyoming Antelope Club in Largo/Clearwater?
Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

douglas34474

Quote from: glencoesurvivor on December 01, 2009, 11:00:09 AM
Has anyone asked around Wyoming Antelope Club in Largo/Clearwater?

I was handing out fliers at the Crystal River gun show a few weeks ago and a gent mentioned this range.

Do you have any contact info? I could not find anything on the web. May not have used the right search terms.

If you know someone there or if you shoot there often, step up and ask if they would consider hosting an AS. That's how I found the Bradford Sportsman's Farm in Graham (Starke).

PHenry

doug,
That's my "home" range and I have long since re-directed my efforts elsewhere. I am even on good terms with the President, VP and several BODs, but still no luck. In their "defense", the range is smack in the center of a very high density area and a single skip round would be the end of it. I even offered them a 22 only event - still no takers.

When I was a kid, you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting an open air rifle range and they are all gone. The WAC is only one left in three counties and they have to be very careful. The only way to shoot from position is to git qual'd as a NRA HP shooter (I am).

I am sure that I will hear about it here, but I have just so many hours in the day and I like to shoot there once or twice per year (about all I have time for these days!). I also serve RO duty there at least 6 times per year. I have pushed the matter to the point of getting into "political soup".

It used to bother me, until we got so many other venues on line. It is what it is - I focus on the venues that welcome us with open arms, like Manatee, Hernando, Bradford's and others. Time is precious and the road ahead is long - must pick the "battles" carefully.

Feel free to hammer them on your own, but understand that the chance of success is remote. Current Pres is Paul Williams, VP is Mike Smith. They are good guys. Website: http://www.antelopeclub.org/

PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

douglas34474

I don't mind swinging a dead cat, but why beat a dead horse??  **)

I ran into the same or similar problem with two other ranges in the Ocala area. Close proximity to churches prevents Sunday shooting till noon. Not the best for an AS. This was the same reason Fort White was dropped.

Only brought it up as like I said, a Gent asked why we did not have AS at this club. I believe you provided the answer. At least we (you) have tried.

I still have not given up on Gainesville. Just can't get the range guy to return a phone call. Think I try again this week to make contact.

Douglas

PHenry

doug,
Keep up great work sir - as you well know, we have a number of brand spanking new IITs just itching to get some time on the trail!  :~

Let's make 2010 a banner year for Appleseeds and Lady Liberty here in Florida!

PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

ThaiFighter

It was indeed a fun weekend.   Much progress was made by us shooters all around.  Thanks to the crew and to Myakka City Gun Club for hosting.  I look forward to seeing you all again in December and beyond.  :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)