News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Lemoore, CA Nov. 21-22 AAR

Started by Camljr, November 23, 2009, 02:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camljr

We had an intimate shoot this time, but quality, not quantity, was the theme this weekend. We had lots of help with BaldDragn and his wife Jules coming down to hone Jules IIT2 skills. Also, Had Romeo's Hero and DoubleD come down from Fresno to get some trigger time. :~     Hard thing to do when you instruct.

There were 7 pre-regged and 4 showed up by 8:30. The other 3 were a family making their way down from up north, and they called the range to inform us they had an axle bearing go out on their truck. and they were hauling a camp trailer to stay overnight at the range. Hey, they called!  more than most no shows... They are coming back for the January shoot!

We had a great group, who were previous appleseed attendees. One first timer, Bill, was told about Appleseed by a friend of his, who planned to attend but something came up and Bill came anyway. We started out with the usual equipment problems, slings, etc. and some scope adjustments to do. the the groups started coming. The first redcoat had a couple 110 yd shooters, and one got 3 in the 300yd. lots of improvement to be had. We had a good lunch with the history being well received. I handed out a few Constitution booklets to the shooters.

One shooter, Neil had shot rifleman before in Fresno, and came down to, as he put it, "make sure it wasn't a fluke."
Another return family was Charlie and his daughter Brittany. Brittany was determined to outshoot her father, and ended the day doing just that. We ended Saturday with a couple AQT's and the redcoat. Bill shot a 192 Saturday, and said he couldn't come back because he would get in trouble with the wife. So I told him..."Bring her back with you tomorrow, She shoots free! We even have a rifle and ammo for her to use!"  He said he would try... O0

Oh yeah, did I mention it was cold Saturday morning (for California) about 38 degrees, but we had a 25 MPH wind that made it much colder. At least the range dirt stayed put because it had rained friday night!!!

Sunday was much nicer weatherwise, we got started right on time, and Bill came back. to get that rifleman patch. He said he almost had her convinced to come.. maybe next time. The morning redcoat out of 4 shooters, we had 2 100 yds, 1 300yds, and 2 headshots. We shot a few squares to check our NPOA and off to the AQT grind. Scores were getting better each AQT. We had lunch earlier than Saturday, to make sure we got done before dark. I had a Navy chief who was shooting pistol on the other range come over to see what was going on. I offered to put him on the line, he accepted. He had his rifle with him. After joining us for the lunchtime dangerous old men and Determined Dames, Baldragn offered to catch him up on the instruction through the first AQT after lunch. He had the stuff and ended the day with a 189. Our returnee, Bill, scored rifleman :~ with a 215! Glad you came back, huh Bill?

Neil was doing good with 4 AQT's over 200, with a high score of 205. Consistent. But he says he will do some dry firing at home and be back. Also want to commend Charlie and his daughter Brittany. Brittany had a migrane headache Saturday afternoon about 2 and had to go lay down in the truck. Charlie persisted and got his scores up. Charlie was not used to so many transitions... Up, down, Up, down... My first appleseed was like that, but Charlie never sat out, never complained.

and special kudos go out to Brittany... She came back on Sunday, when it would have been so easy to just say... "dad, I don't feel well, you just go without me."  Not Brittany, she showed up with a good attitude and was rearing to go. And go she did... While Charlie got a high 173, Brittany beat his score with a 189!!! Talk about bragging rights...

Garand56 (Dave) called the line like a pro Sunday AM and instructed both days like a red hat instuctor, as did Jules Sunday Afternoon.

The final redcoat was cool, almost all 4 shooter cleared it! almost, but only Brittany's dad Charlie officially cleared it... good way to end the day. I presented the youth patch to Brittany for her perserverance, and most improved score over the two days.

I also had the pleasure of presenting David (Garand56) with his official red hat. He completed his pc and has demonstrated he has what it takes to do the job. Congrats! I look forward to working one of your shoots! Future shoot boss.... O0

And Romeo's hero shoot bossed Fresno last month, but they were out of green shoot boss hats... Soo, I presented her with one!!Run with it girl, you are a natural. I will work beside you anytime!!

I hope I didn;t miss anything..... Oh yeaqh, Pictures!!!  I still need to downsize them for posting, so check back tomorrow night for the photo journal... Another one on the books, I can't think of anything I would rather be doing than Appleseeding! Really...

Feel free to post your thoughts and comments, I will be working on photos to post.

Over and out!
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Camljr

Here are some pics.... Enjoy.
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Dinky Dao

Hey, sounds like you guys had a great shoot! O0 Good to see BaldDragn's wife Jules out for the weekend, too. 8) RH and DD, how'd you sneek into these pics...lol. Must be nice to just go shoot for a weekend. Slackers. LOL!!! Enjoy the new hat, RH, and welcome to the world of the ugly greens. **) And Garrand56 instructed the line like a red hat, aye? Sounds like a recommendation to me. ;)

Glad to hear the students all had a good time (38 degrees?? ??? When I was there two months ago it was 103!!!)

Looking forward to reading about the next one!

Dinky
RWVA National Coordinator
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"These blast points...too accurate for sandpeople. Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise."

"Wind...is a dirty mistress."

"Matter can neither be created or destroyed. Cosmoline proves it." - Dinky Dao

The ][rishman at Eureka RBC 07-10, " In the famous words of Bill Cosby...Got to bed, you're getting silly."

Dinky's Facebook page: 100% Applesseders. Keep up on the latest Applessed news from all over the country!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1326377533#!

Jules

Twas a brisk morning on Saturday at the Lemoore Gun and Pistol Range. By 8am I had every stitch of clothing I owned that was in the car on, along with Balddragn's HUGE parka and ski gloves. I looked like Dopey out of Snow White. But as cold as that wind whipped around, nobody complained. And yes, I suspect those dedicated AS folk in the East are muttering "Those California folks don't know what COLD IS!"  Yes, we are weenies.

I have to give a shout out to our gal Brittany, the youngest of the shooters this weekend. She had a migraine the night before the shoot that managed to sneak up on her on Saturday afternoon, causing her to have to go horizontal in the truck for the remainder of the day. I checked up on her from time to time, and presented her with a "Shoot like a Girl, if You Can" hat. I told her, if she could come back on Sunday fine, but if not, she had the greatest attitude and serious talent. And she did return on Sunday, proudly wearing her hat! She has two brothers but SHE is the one who will become a Rifleman.  I told her if she returns in January that I will be there, totally spacing that we have a shoot up here in Sac on the same weekend. But a promise is a promise, and if she comes back, I will be there. Her dad Charlie was a trooper as well. Although he had been to a prior Appleseed, he had forgotten the challenge of the 'ups and downs' of the transitions.

Double D and Romeo's Hero rolled in mid Saturday intending to shoot for the weekend. Sometimes it's good to hone those skills.

Sunday morning's weather was much kinder, and wearing 7 layers of assorted clothing had me looking   a little more professional in my capacity as a Line Boss. Chris was a military fella who was watching from a distance on Sunday afternoon. Balddragn went over and got into a conversation with him ( no, really?) He told Chris to show up for lunch, and then he would work with him afterwards. Talk about drinking from a fire hose.... BD gave the guy Appleseed 101 in about 20 minutes, and then put him on the line. I believe he started out with an M14, but swapped it out for one of our .22 's By the end of the day Chris was doing fantastic! He said he would be back in January, bringing some buddies, as they are going to be deployed soon following the January shoot. He told BD that 'they don't get that high quality of training' where he is from. ( Navy base in Lemoore)

Double D and Romeo's Hero stepped in to help  while BD was one on one with Chris, and Garand56 worked with Charlie and Brittany while I called the line. This is one of the advantages of having a small group, the one on one personal time the shooters received from our fine instructors. That still gave DD and RH time to shoot themselves. I hope to post the .22 single shot, bolt action for right handers that DD shot. It was seriously tricked out with tie wraps and a cardboard eye cover, as he shoots left handed. He shot that puppy on a timed AQT for a 215, I believe. He is amazing.

It is always fun to work with Camljr. The way things are going in CA, if we want to see him, we will have to go south. Thanks also to Reggie for being our LSO, spotter, and for hauling all those targets and shirts, and , and ,and up to us from Simi Valley.

Garand56 and his adorable wife Debby were wonderful to host us. This woman can not only cook, but bake, and knows all the stats from football 20 years back. She is an avid Jets fan. She is a regular Martha Stewart, so I am going to have to step it up in Sac to keep up with the quality of service and menu she graciously provided us. Thank you!

At the end of Sunday, after the shooters had left, and we went about the laborious task of cleaning up and putting away, I had the same thought I always have. There isn't a finer group of people I would rather spend a weekend with. This is Appleseed at its finest!

Jules
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Jules

batch 2

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Jules

::sigh:: batch 3

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Jules

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Jules

final batch....... honest

- Eleanor Roosevelt

jacques

Dang, those ae some nice looking redcoats. Good going.  O0
Two Words-Meriams Corner

Antibubba

Quote from: JulesChris was a military fella who was watching from a distance on Sunday afternoon. Balddragn went over and got into a conversation with him ( no, really?) He told Chris to show up for lunch, and then he would work with him afterwards. Talk about drinking from a fire hose.... BD gave the guy Appleseed 101 in about 20 minutes, and then put him on the line. I believe he started out with an M14, but swapped it out for one of our .22 's By the end of the day Chris was doing fantastic! He said he would be back in January, bringing some buddies, as they are going to be deployed soon following the January shoot. He told BD that 'they don't get that high quality of training' where he is from. ( Navy base in Lemoore)

I'm starting to hear that more often; I think it may be due in part that we have a much higher ratio of instructors to trainees, and that we aren't going to make you clean latrines with your toothbrush if you don't shoot 210.   :)   It would be great to be able to incorporate these quotes into our promotions.

Please help me understand, though, why the Navy puts a base in a landlocked farming valley.
A rifle cannot win a war; it is just a tool.  Wars are fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people.

DesertDog

Quote from: Antibubba on November 24, 2009, 06:00:41 PM
Quote from: JulesChris was a military fella who was watching from a distance on Sunday afternoon. Balddragn went over and got into a conversation with him ( no, really?) He told Chris to show up for lunch, and then he would work with him afterwards. Talk about drinking from a fire hose.... BD gave the guy Appleseed 101 in about 20 minutes, and then put him on the line. I believe he started out with an M14, but swapped it out for one of our .22 's By the end of the day Chris was doing fantastic! He said he would be back in January, bringing some buddies, as they are going to be deployed soon following the January shoot. He told BD that 'they don't get that high quality of training' where he is from. ( Navy base in Lemoore)

I'm starting to hear that more often; I think it may be due in part that we have a much higher ratio of instructors to trainees, and that we aren't going to make you clean latrines with your toothbrush if you don't shoot 210.   :)   It would be great to be able to incorporate these quotes into our promotions.

Please help me understand, though, why the Navy puts a base in a landlocked farming valley.

I didn't get that quality of training in the Army and my job WAS a combat MOS.  We have a Navy base here in the desert as well **).  They use them to test their weapons over land.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Chris_H

Quote from: DesertDog on November 24, 2009, 06:27:10 PM
I didn't get that quality of training in the Army and my job WAS a combat MOS.  We have a Navy base here in the desert as well **).  They use them to test their weapons over land.

I remember reading somewhere, I think a SEAL writing something like;

"I've got water in my canteen - that's close enough for me!"

;D

bill215

just wanted to say how great of a time i had this past weekend. did not expect that amount of info to sink in. ??? i have already signed up for two more appleseed shoots. sacramento dec 12th and lemoore jan 23 & 24. thanks to all the instructors and everybody involved. i am already looking at specs online for a new ruger 10-22 O0. thanks again for the use of yours rod. thanks cameron and jules for posting pics. congrats to all shooters, and neil stay on your own targets **). hope to see everybody again on the range.

NorCal22Gal

Sounds like you guys had a blast down there....Had other commitment or Eaglescouter and I might have made it down....we're from that area. 

Glad to see the caliber of folks that show up and keep at it despite migraines, equipment failure or just plain exhaustion.   Really truly Riflemen and Riflewomen at heart.

And yeah Jules...a better group of people you'll not find to spend the weekend with....

NorCal22Gal

BaldDragn

Thanks Camljr for running this shoot, it was great to be able to show up and spend more time with the shooters.

Thanks to Garand56 and wife Debby for a comfy place to sleep, excellent conversation, and great food. Anytime I can spend the whole weekend with Appleseeders and keep the expenses down is a great time.

It was a pleasure to meet Reggie and his assistance really helped keep CenCal and NorCal Appleseed up and running.

Jules is one IMC and a couple Strikes of the Match away from picking up a Red Hat of her own. Her notes from the IBC have served her well and the scores of her shooters bear that out. Good work honey!

And to our shooters, it would all be for nothing without you guys. It rained liked crazy the night before the shoot and the wind on Saturday morning was incredible. We had to use chunks of utility poles to hold down the target stands. It would have been real easy to stay home that day but you guys showed up and made it a great weekend.
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!