News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Manheim PA 11/21-22 AAR

Started by lprgcfrank, November 22, 2009, 11:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lprgcfrank

Here's the preliminary AAR from Saturday - absolutely gorgeous day to be learning about our American Heritage and learning how to shoot a rifle.
26 folks came out.

Chainsaw had is inaugural as Shoot Boss and did a fine job.  We had great support with Spanner and I as instructors and Frontsight, Big H, Machine Mac and Rundownfid as IIT's.

Pictures attached.  Check out Logan in the seated position - don't you wish you were that limber again  <:)

Only challenge was the time of year - with standard time the daylight ends way too soon.....
"fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]

Spanner

My camera's batteries died (with a whimper) much too soon, but I managed to get a few pictures.  Hopefully Big H has more.

The Big Picture at Manheim:

Chainsaw instructing:

The Line:

Emily, Challenge Coin (earned), Chainsaw:

Jarod answers one of the Four Questions:

Rifleman Terry, with Machine Mac, Frontsight, Big H, Rundownfid and Chainsaw
" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

mooney

Looks like a great event again at Manheim!!!

Thanks to all that make this a great event every month!!!

Mooney
PA State Coordinator
Mooney

Chainsaw

The quality of the weather in Manheim this weekend was only eclipsed by the quality of the good Americans on the firing line.   We had twenty-six shooters on Saturday and twenty-one on Sunday.  Instructors were Spanner and myself with lprgcfrank helping out on Saturday.  We had a some high quality IITs with Frontsight, Big H, Rundownfid, and Machine Mac all doing a fine job.  Thank you.

We had a pair of eleven year olds who are both worthy of mention.  Logan, who unfortunately could only come one day, did an excellent job of making safety his first priority and keeping up with the instruction.  I was happy to present him with a Young Patriot patch.

Emily, a brand new rifle shooter was made our designated sniper by lprgcfrank.  He challenged her to shoot to the Rifleman standard of 210 using his trusty snap-on bipod, with the promise that he would award her an Appleseed Challenge Coin if she was able.  I was very happy to be able to hand over that coin after the first AQT on Sunday when she scored an indisputable 220!  I don't even have a coin!

By Sunday afternoon no one else had gotten to 210.  I was getting a little twitchy.  We had over a dozen scores from 200-209, close, but...

On the last two AQTs of the day I was thrilled that we had four rifleman amongst us and at least four more that were oh so close.

Trevor shot 210 and 215
Brady had 211 and 220
Terry blasted a 221

...and although I didn't get to hand him a patch because he already had one, Lee had the finest target of the weekend, a 230.

Well done all!

Even better, we have four new orange hats as well.  Trevor, Brandy, Sie, and Lee all went home with the Day-Glo orange caps.  Brady is looking to bring Appleseed to Delaware and it looks like the First State is finally out of the gate.

Thanks again to everyone who showed up, and made my time worthwhile by NOT GIVING UP.  Most excellent.
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

Big H

What a glorious week-end in Manheim. Under sunny November skies, two dozen youngsters and not-so-youngsters safely learned rifle skills and American Heritage. 3 new Rifleman patches awarded, and 4 new Orange Hats. Many more who improved and will get their patches with persistence. Huzzah!

The Elstonville Sportsman's Association was again a gracious host. Their restaurant offers a tasty and filling hot lunch on Sunday. Note to persisting riflemen who will attend in December: the range restaurant is closed on Saturdays, so plan to bring your lunch on Saturday. Hot drinks in Thermos bottles will also warm you up.

Machine Mac

Well I don't think we will see another weekend like this one past at Manheim until next spring, the weather was spectacular. It was great to meet so many motivated folks that decided to get off the couch as well as seeing some familiar faces from last month's event.

Cangratulations to our new riflemen Terry, Brady, and Trevor. Also congratulations to Emily for her determination in meeting Frank's challenge, there's no doubt she will become a rifleman in short order. Also to Logan for his Patriot patch.

Thanks go out to Brady, Lee, Sie, and Trevor for stepping up and taking the orange hats. Thanks to all that made this a great weekend spent with some great people that are willing to "do" instead of "watch". I look forward to seeing many of you again at Manheim in December.

EZ3

Couldn't believe the weather.  It was an awesome shoot, both for that and for the quality instruction and supervision.  Thanks to Chainsaw, Spanner, and Frank for a safe shoot that ran like clockwork.  Also thanks to the IIT's, I'm honored to join you in such a worthy cause.  I guess the next step is to get a shoot organized on MY side of the state.  The ride home was the only downside to the weekend.  Well, that and trying to get into a proper sitting position!  Thanks again, guys!   O0
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Big H

More photos from the November AS.

An Appeal To Heaven

Rifleman Trevor

Rifleman/Orange Hat Brady

Orange Hat Lee

Orange Hats Sie and Trevor

kDan

All good news here.  The kids on bi-pods or sand-bags is a favorite at this point.  Frank and Spanner were there when THAT technique became essential.

Nothing better than a range's success except the success of new instructors.

Just a note for new IIT's.  First, thanks, folks.  You'll see how important what you've just done really is soon enough.  Secondly, there was an Instructor Boot Camp, a two-day in-depth class-room style event for training and promoting IIT's, held this past March in Upstate New York.  With Chainsaw's graduation to Shoot Boss, that makes each graduating member of that IBC a Shoot Boss.  You guys know who you are.  You should be proud and I know you are.

To finish up...  there's an IBC at Burlington Flats in upstate NY next week-end.  After you get bumped, it'll show up under "Instructor Schedule" on the forum.  If you can't find it, but want to come, pm me or call me at 718 490 7665.  We'll get you in. Can you picture yourself a Shoot Boss next season?  Well, we can.  We've come a long way, but we've got a long way to go.  IBC is the best way to jump-start an Instructor's experience.  Just ask any Red Hat you find in Pennsylvania, or New York for that matter.

"Pennsylvania Riflemen", sounds about right.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

kDan

One more thing.  Tom, where's your Green Hat!?  PM me and I'll get one out to you in the post.

I know what it's like, you want to wear the red one for a while, break it in, but sorry buddy, your Red Hat is for around the town now, Boss. O0 O0
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Chainsaw

Hey thanks, but Spanner had an extra that he graciously let me take home.   :)
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

NUGUN

Had a great time...

Here are two YouTube videos I've posted up.  Congrats to all the new Riflemen and a thank you to all the instructors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq0OKSZd0C4&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UQzxISs83g&feature=player_embedded

My summary of the weekend can be found here....
http://nugun.wordpress.com/2009/11/28/the-appleseed-project-day-zero/
--
The N.U.G.U.N. Blog
http://nugun.wordpress.com