News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Toccoa, GA Nov 14/15

Started by Son of Martha, November 16, 2009, 04:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Son of Martha

Superb event!  We had 68 shooters Saturday and 36 Sunday (two Sunday only) for a total of 70 persons.  

This was actually exactly the correct number for this venue at this time, as we were full.  Two of our normally-available ranges were taken up by the tactical pistol people.  This is the largest attendance yet for this range--thank you everyone.

Beautiful weather (sorry about that--I know we had some who wanted to become members of the Mud Club), clear nights cold enough to make the sleeping bag welcome, days hot enough to sweat but just a little.  Fellow Americans to meet and talk with.  Redcoats to shoot...

We had a real treat this time through, one of our Master Instructors drove all the way from Illinois to be with us, and presented the history in the deepening gloom Saturday evening.  Hearing that story as the light slowly faded was a combination that worked really well, as you had to switch from visual cues to hearing only...and what was happening around you was just like what is happening around you...

Had 4 new riflemen, many repeat scores (got some folks here who have scored rifleman with a .22, but refuse to sew the patch on until they do it with the centerfire.  I like that line of thought.), and several people who went from nothing all the way to the plateau in one weekend.  Also had 3 men volunteer to be IITs--that's the real success story for this weekend...

Thanks to all who attended.  If you hadn't come, I would have felt pretty silly there by myself  :D.  For the Instructors and IITs who so ably fulfilled their responsibilities to posterity. ACPjunkie, Sanderman, the Guy, Dinky Dau, Bagel, History², Alex4922, Fuzzymath, Karl2500--good job and thank you.  

Having another one in December!  What a great country!

SoM
Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.

Gordon

The mark of someone's being good at something is that they make it look easy. Think of a well-thrown sideline pass, caught by your favorite wide receiver who comes down with his feet just in-bounds. Or think of Son of Martha managing a large, multiline shoot, or The Guy telling the events of April 19. The professionalism of these two and the entire staff was a thing of beauty.

alex4922

A really, realy fine weekend ! The line I had the privilege of helping with Saturday had a group of Boy Scouts from a local troup. Although many were struggling under the weight of a too heavy or incorrect pull lenth rifle, they remained determined and never quit. You young Americans make me proud.

A young lady attending with her Dad shot better on each new teaching phase and ended up being very competent and accurate with her rifle. You go girl!

The Sunday line had mostly adults. It got hot, then hotter. With the sun in their faces and some equipment problems they hung in and fired with good effect. Toward the end of the day they were challenged with two AQTs back to back with limited time to prep mags and strict two minute prep periods. Though paper scores had begun to sag by then, I would have hated to have been the redcoats facing these tough men.

Thanks to all who attended, I apologise for my line call bobbles. Keep the faith, see you in December.

Alex
"A free society requires order, and order depends on restraint: yet it seems that the only kind of restraint compatible with genuine freedom is self restraint.'

The Guy

Once a year I try to make this event for several reasons.  Not the least is a chance to work with Son of Martha.  Always nice to see a professional show being put on, even if strained to the max and the dreaded word (relays) being uttered prior to the actual event.

However, buy the correct use of a shoehorn, we managed to find room for everyone, and the day commenced quite well, as SoM had a plan that worked.

The people were, as always in Toccoa, fantastic.  Personality and ablility.  I remeber walking the line after the first or second sighter square and being quite impressed by the groups, many of which where right at or just a hair over 4 moa.  Very nice, and had we had the full time (day light savings time SUCKS!!  For Apleseed anyway) to shoot, I belive we would have sent home twice the number of Riflemen, easy.  I scored many a 180 or higher targets that were by first timers, and had one first timer hit the coveted 210 (211 actually) on his first QDAQT (with a bolt gun!!).  Nice.

Got to meet some interesting folks I have only heard of on the forum, and that is always nice, to personaly meet folks whom you know of only by their posts.

Appleseed warms the heart in many diferent ways, such as the older gentleman on the end helping a youth saying to me,  "I am just worried about him getting ready safely, don't hold things for me, I'll catch up", to watching the shooters help each other out, to watching the Instructors pul together and work as a team, to the campfire time.

Just don't get any better than that.

See you in GA next year!

Guy

rockandroll

This was a fantastic weekend. It was my first Appleseed and I learned how much I didn't know. I was raised with guns and have hunted since I was a kid, but I learned so much more during this weekend. The instructors were extremely professional, inspiring and ran a tight and very safe event. The other attendees I met were very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful and I needed help with both my gear and technique. I can't wait to go to the next one and highly highly recommend everyone who can attend an Appleseed to do it. You will learn about history, marksmanship and its FUN! I will be bringing along some more newbies the next time I go.

Foxcroft

What a weekend.  Great weather, great facilities and great instructors.  Look at the list: Son of Martha ( Master Instructor Extraordinaire), ACPjunkie, Sanderman, the Guy (who's the Man), Dinky Dau (she sure doesn't need a megaphone to call the line), Bagel, History², Alex4922, Fuzzymath and Karl2500.  Just doesn't get any better than that.  Plus, I got to spend the weekend with my college senior son, Scott,  exercising our second amendment rights and being challenged to help turn the Country around. 

It was Scott's first Appleseed and my second. Due to the excellent instruction he scored  202 on the first day and  205 on the second day. I think he's hooked.  A special thanks to Son of Martha who loaned me a rifle after the extractor on mine broke.  I managed to score  203 on Sunday.  We can't wait until our next Appleseed. The Guy said it usually takes three shoots for everything to soak in, so hopefully with some practice next time I'll reach my goal of Rifleman.

A special thanks to all the dedicated Appleseed volunteers who make the program a success.