News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piru CA Nov 14/15 2009 Appleseed After Action Report

Started by V, November 16, 2009, 02:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V

Another great weekend here in sunny California, you have to love this time of year. A beautiful day on Saturday, a balmy 65 with zephyr breezes, the shade awnings up, the flags waving as 18 shooters came together with the instructors from the week long Rifleman's Boot Camp (RBC) to celebrate our Heritage and History by improving, for some learning for the first time, their Rifle Marksmanship.

On Sunday, Piru lived up to its name (Pi - much wind and dust, Ru - much dust and wind) as the early morning gusts took down all the shade and shredded a few flags! But 12 shooters, 3 new shooters on Sunday only, showed their inner American Rifleman and persisted through the driven dust to test their equipment and their mettle.

On Sunday we found our first Rifleman, Alex, who shot a 226 followed by a 231. His Dad Jim came so close peaking on a 208. Come back to the next one guys and it would be my pleasure to present a patch and a pair of Orange Hats to a great father and son team.

On our last AQT we found our second Rifleman, a repeat AS from Santa Barbara, Debra who shot a 220 and graciously stepped up under an Orange hat. Welcome, LibertyMinded, Debra's screen name here on the forum, we all look forward to working with you.

Everyone showed great improvement over the weekend and left with some targets to practice with and promised that they will be back, bringing more friends and family, to shoot their score on the next Appleseed.

Carol came with her husband Jim to watch, but we insisted she borrow an LTR and with Junior Birdman's help she left saturday insisting the Jim buy her a rifle for their wedding anniversary - how cool is that!

Kevin was there with his son Daniel on Saturday for a birthday treat, how cool is that?

The Urtel family on Saturday made huge improvements from the first Redcoat to the last, I'm sure they will be back.

All the other shooters, Mike, Hugh, Tom, Shawn, John, Cam, Dave, Steven, Su-gin and Ben, with a mix of .22 and ARs, and a mix of new shooters to seasoned pro's had great fun, learned a lot about their equipment and the finer points of marksmanship and came so close. They will be back.

As always, for the instructor crew, Dano, Jacques, Kool Aid, SoCalSerf, Junior Birdman, Hollywood Marine, it was a pleasure and an honor to share this event with our shooters.

See you all on the trail.
V

LayloPro

Awesome shoot, guys!! O0

And for Piru to -NOT- disappoint JB as he was on the ground this time, reveling in the full on "in your face" experience that only Piru seems to be so consistent to offer.... **) :))

Congrats on your RM folks; had a feeling that Debra "could & would" do it with a extra couple of hours that we didn't have at SB......Great work!! I know you worked for it....welcome to the fold! <:) O0 :)

Alex, congrats on your scores....it seems you were soaking in all the training & effort from the guys there! Great job!!  O0 :~

Carol sounds like she also found her "inner Rifleman".....JB, you did good again!!  :))

Sounds like a really nice shoot.....temps were calm enough that even with the shade gone, it was still all good.....
keep rockin' 'em, folks!!

LLP

"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

LibertyMinded

What a great weekend. Thank you V, Dano, Jacques, Joe, JB, Surf, and Kool Aid.

You cannot ask for a better group of people. It's pretty amazing the quality of instruction, and all volunteer at that!

I look forward to learning and helping AS grow.

Debra
Debbie

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

jacques

Ah yes, wind and dirt. After being there for a whole week for RBC, I don't think I needed ear plugs.

It was a great Appleseed, V really took the lead there, I don't think I have heard a better first strike given. Absolutely incredible!!!

Mike, with a little practice and fine tuning will be right in there.

Ben and Erica showed excellent Steady hold factors. I think a return trip with the whole line will show many more Rifleman scores.

And Libertyminded, congrats again. You worked hard for that. Stocks too long, etc. But you adapted, overcame, and persisted. Great going!!

Jacques
Two Words-Meriams Corner

Happy2BAlive

Bein' a newbie, I can't start any threads, and since no one's started a thread about Piru 1109 RBC, I'll just put in my two cents worth here:

I didn't make it to the weekend, but here are photos of what we did at Piru 1109 earlier in the week. The weather was warm (hot if not under the shades) and clear - and could be considered  "pleasant" as we didn't have any wind & flyin' dust everyone's talkin' about. :)  (Just my luck to miss it  **) )

It was great seein' Jacques and Dano again - I can see how you guys will do SB right ;D great gettin' Birdman's expert instruction :~ thanks for helping me improve! 8) and great meetin' Andy and look forward to workin' with him locally @@)

Here are a few snapshots of what we were up to. Indulge me in a few "artistic" tangents - I try to find Beauty wherever I am - even at dry, dusty Piru  ;)  Enjoy!

~ n

HollywoodMarine

Thanks for posting those pictures. I just remembered   ++)   that my data cable for my camera is up in OR so it well be awhile be fore I can post mine.  :'( Thank you to all the shooters and Instructors it was a great week of Appleseed. O0
A wise man can learn from a fool, but a fool cannot learn even from a wise man.

Embrace the suck!