News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Canton/Minerva, Oct 3-4

Started by Gordon, October 07, 2009, 09:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

AAR: Canton/Minerva, Oct 3-4, 2009

Yet another great weekend on the Appleseed trail! After a very iffy weather forecast and a difficulties with the target line (these involved wet sand atop bedrock and steel posts with nothing to drive them with --- don't ask!), we got off to a smooth start, with the first cry of "Shooters! Center up!" at about 9:10. It turned out nearly all the group were experienced shooters (about, what? maybe 15 shooters in all?), almost none of whom had been to an Appleseed event, and all of whom brought very teachable attitudes. Serveral of them seemed to know what to expect in terms of the general course of instruction. One guy for example had never been to an Appleseed but had been reading Fred's Guide. He started off with tight groups, which only got tighter as we progressed, and he ended up shooting Rifleman on Sunday, twice, with his bold-action .22. And it was good to see a shooter from last year, WY_not, bring his kids out and help instruct them on the line. The real spirt and purpose of Appleseed.

We IIT's also (Too Tall, Birdman and I), in our attempt to learn to instruct, benefited from the guidence of Dinky and Slim (her effective XO), and Luna and Redman1. My sincere gratitude to those red-hats for their coaching.

The comaradarie was excellent. The landowner graciously allowed us to camp on site. Long and varying conversations, late autumn night around a campfire, but I was too tired and had to get to sleep! One of the shooters from the area offered an inspiring and tasteful bit of spiritual and historical reflection the next morning, around the fire also, before the day's activities began.

All in all, it was everyhing I've come to expect and love about Appleseed weekends. Thanks to all who participated and made it happen!
-Gordon, aka FuzzyMath.

Dinky Dao

Smooth start??? LOL. We had to rebuild the firing line three times before we could even start shooting Saturday morning! Ahhh yesssss....nothing like shooting in the mud bowl known as Canton! Thanks to Clark for his ingenious design on how to build a solid firing line impervious to swamp ground in high winds (this rig was so intelligent we took pictures of it...and gave Clark an Orange Hat! Anyone who can engineer on the spot like that needs to be part of our crew!)

Hey Slim...betcha Clark woulda remembered to bring the post driver...

LOL!

We had three Riflemen this weekend (Tim, Dan, and "The Show Off" 8)), and a line made up of mostly centerfires! Man, it was just like the old days.... :'( @) With the exception of four folks, all were new to Appleseed. Ya know, it just doesn't get any better that that. :) :~

It was wonderful getting to see some of the familiar faces again (especially Pam from Vienna and WY-Not!), as well as meeting the new. Not to mention, I got to play with a Socom, and ogled over the fanciest AR urban assault rig I've ever seen (this puppy even had a strobe mounted underneath...I didn't have the heart to make him take all that gear candy off. Too bad none of it was going to help him shoot long distance. :P It sure woulda made one fancy flashlight for helping him find the porta pottie in the middle of the night, though. **))

Slim did his awesome as usual history rendition, including with the traditional "weekly drawling" of Boston Harbor that completely filled my dry erase board (nobody drawls "Battle Road" like Slim does. This time he included houses on Boston Neck and ships out in the bay..I think he was really trying to out do himself this time...lol.)

Campfire time was even more splendid than usual. We had several campers on site, and the conversations that followed around the camp fire were very thought provoking. I have to admit, it's my favorite part of Appleseed. I learn so much when Appleseeders hang out together under the starry skies.

The field sermon that our Rifleman Tim did (Birdman's brother in law) Sunday morning was fantastic. It started out with the reading of the Declaration of Independence, jumped to Patrick Henry's speech somewhere in the middle, and ended with a famous statement by a Russian dissident (or Russian Patriot depending on how you view it. ;). It was truly inspiring.

One Red Coat, a few sighter squares, several drills, a Mad Minute Rush, and many AQT's later, it was all over. One more Appleseed at Canton Minerva in the books. Thanks Too Tall, Luna, Fuzzy Math, slim, redman1, birdman, Clark, and Tim for the fantastic clean up job! The range was left cleaner than we found it.  O0

Looking forward to next year at this location.

In the meantime...if you haven't done so...get signed up for Athens! It's the last big Ohio shoot of the year folks! October 31st! A 300 yard Range! Camping on site! A special historical story for the kids (and adults alike) will be read around the campfire! INDOOR SHOWERS! Woohooo!

...and even a few special surprises.... ;)

So you don't want to miss it.  ^-^ O0

See you there!

Dinky
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"These blast points...too accurate for sandpeople. Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise."

"Wind...is a dirty mistress."

"Matter can neither be created or destroyed. Cosmoline proves it." - Dinky Dao

The ][rishman at Eureka RBC 07-10, " In the famous words of Bill Cosby...Got to bed, you're getting silly."

Dinky's Facebook page: 100% Applesseders. Keep up on the latest Applessed news from all over the country!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1326377533#!

Gordon

Quote from: Dinky Dao on October 08, 2009, 12:42:12 AM
... Ahhh yesssss....nothing like shooting in the mud bowl known as Canton!

Ahh yes, ok, mud-bowl is right! But we overlook the, shall-we-say, "charming imperfections" of those we love, don't we? :)

MeanStreaker

QuoteIt's the last big Ohio shoot of the year folks! October 31st!

*Cough, Cough*

And Miamisburg on Nov 7!
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Dinky Dao

...I said "last BIG shoot"...

LOL!
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"These blast points...too accurate for sandpeople. Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise."

"Wind...is a dirty mistress."

"Matter can neither be created or destroyed. Cosmoline proves it." - Dinky Dao

The ][rishman at Eureka RBC 07-10, " In the famous words of Bill Cosby...Got to bed, you're getting silly."

Dinky's Facebook page: 100% Applesseders. Keep up on the latest Applessed news from all over the country!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1326377533#!

derksmit

Are tube fed .22s ok to bring to appleseed events if someone could shoot me a message and let me know i'd appreciate it... sorry to post this here but i can't figure out how to start a new topic

NEO_Tim

Canton/Minerva was my first Appleseed.  Wow!  It was instructive, intense, exhausting and inspiring.  I am a truly newbie shooter and profited from every demonstration, every instruction, every exercise and every history narration.

I was deeply impressed by the competence and dedication of every volunteer.  Now I know why Birdman (my bro-in-law) is so excited about Appleseed.  I am grateful to him for his patient teaching and coaching over the last few months.  (Did you see the AQT score he shot with his AR?!)

The weather forecast was for rain both days, and I was prepared to deal with whatever came.  I kept telling myself, "Those first patriots didn't stay away because of rain."  I didn't get wet, but I left with my mind and my heart full.  Slim, thanks again for taking me back to the first days of the fight for liberty and introducing me to those first heroic Riflemen.

FuzzyMath, Luna, Too Tall, Redman, Clark, it was great to meet you.  And Dinky, what can I say.  You have a new fan!  Thanks for your skill and your passion.

I know Oct. 3-4 was not my last Appleseed.  Until my next one, I will work on what I learned and spread the word.

Tim

MeanStreaker

Quote from: derksmit on October 08, 2009, 01:29:05 PM
Are tube fed .22s ok to bring to appleseed events if someone could shoot me a message and let me know i'd appreciate it... sorry to post this here but i can't figure out how to start a new topic

Hey Derk, I sent you a PM.

In a nutshell, so long as your tubefed rifle functions safely, there's not a problem!  Hope to see you at an Appleseed soon.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Birdman

To All,
Another great shoot.  I am proud of all the shooters who attended, especially the kids.  Abbi and Joey were very polite and very safety conscious. It really shows that they have some great parental guidance, and not just shooting.  All the shooters really do inspire me, making it all worth it.  I know how much hard work they all put into a two day Appleseed shoot.  Congrats to Rifleman Tim and Sako Urban(SP?), and Dan.  You guys are now Riflemen, not cooks.
Thanks to Dinky (leadership and passion), and Slim (darn good history), Fuzzy Math (Brainpower), TooTall (someone I look up to, really), Luna (Good guy), Luna (Good dog), and Redman1 (Would want him in my Rifle Squad). I admire all of you also.  I know how much work goes into every Appleseed shoot, thank you all for grabbing a big bucket and bailing. See you on the trail.
Birdman

rubicon762

Hi all
I was a Sunday only shooter. I got off to a slow start,but after a "Ball & Dummy Drill",I was able to do much better.

3 people qualified "Rifleman" on Sunday, including one guy who had only owned a gun for a year!

Pics were taken w/Dinky Dau awarding patches. Does anyone have a link to a posting of these?

redman1

Quote from: Birdman on October 08, 2009, 05:42:32 PM
and Redman1 (Would want him in my Rifle Squad).
Birdman

thanks birdman
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill.To subdue the enemy without  fighting is the highest skill..
-SUN-TZU

The less effort,the faster and more powerful you will be..
-Bruce Lee