News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Free (or nearly) mods for the 10/22...

Started by ThaiFighter, January 27, 2010, 08:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThaiFighter

a nice mod I just finished on my trigger is a 70 cent stainless set screw from Casa Depot.

I grabbed an 8-32 1/4" set screw and drilled a 9/64" hole right at the very bottom of the fat part of the trigger. I set the screw in straight and let it cut the threads on its way through.  I have a poly trigger, if you have a metal trigger you will need a proper tap. The screw is countersunk about 1/8" into the trigger face.  Run it in until you can't get the trigger to break and then back it out 1/8 turn until the trigger breaks reliably.

Took 10 min and the trigger has no overtravel at all now. Total movement to break the trigger is about 3/16".  THese pics were taken before I used the X-acto knife to clean up the mess.

I did the same mod on a buddy's 10/22 and he says it's an instant 40% improvement.

"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

ThaiFighter

"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

desertrat144

A great, simple solution to the problem.  With the synthetic trigger, how much use have you found (or you figure) before it tries to loosen up?  Any ideas on resetting, or re-tightening it?
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

ThaiFighter

I've put about 2k rounds through mine and had no problem with it shooting loose.  I think that because you use the screw itself to cut the threads it's tight!   If I find I am having issues with it in the future then I'll add a bit of the blue (red tube) loctite. 

-GBS

willorith

I am a 35 year machinist. I would bet a gravid platypus that screw will never loosen up in that hole. The threads are actually swaged into the plastic trigger. The natural spring back of the plastic provides clamping force against the screw.

Very nice work, Wiley. I knew you were a good guy when I saw that scar on your hiney.
We are but human.

Spanner

Quote from: willorith on January 27, 2010, 11:20:37 PM

I knew you were a good guy when I saw that scar on your hiney.

That's a thread-killer if I ever saw one. 

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

douglas34474

I just remove the factory trigger return spring and put in my own custom made spring and use the original return spring hole as a good spot to tap for an over travel screw. 

There are a lot of low cost mods that can be made to improve the reliability of the little 10-22. I have two rifles that will go through a brick of ammo with out a failure to feed, fire or extract.